How can you defeat your Acrophobia?
Acrophobia has en efficient remedy:
Virtual Reality Therapy
Virtual Reality Therapy is a revolutionary treatment used for different phobias, like acrophobia or fear of heights and tall buildings.
Are you afraid of heights and tall buildings? Are you afraid to attend a meeting on the top floor of an office building? Do you close your eyes when you are in the car at higher altitudes? Acrophobia may be the cause, or fear of heights and tall building, an anxiety disorder that affects about 5% of the population.
Acrophobia can trigger unpleasant symptoms, and acrophobic people avoid situations of being at a lower or higher altitude.
Acrophobia can adversely affect your lifestyle if you do not treat it.
All about acrophobia
What is Virtual Reality Therapy?
You can overcome your acrophobia through virtual reality therapy, where you can meet the phobic stimulus(tall buildings and top floors) in a virtual environment that simulates the real situation that generates anxiety. Acrophobia is often accompanied by claustrophobia (associated with the elevator) and can be treated together.
Virtual Reality Exposure Therapy uses 3D projection glasses (head-mounted display), equipped with body motion monitoring sensors, which are connected to the doctor’s computer. Thus, it allows the doctor/psychotherapist to offer careful guidance, while maintaining full control over everything that occurs, adjusting the intensity of the therapy according to the individual needs of the patient.
During the process of exposure to virtual reality, you will be virtually led into a building with a minimum of 50 floors where:
- you will initially climb with a closed elevator, gradually to higher and higher level
- After experiencing this stage, you have the option of going with a glass wall elevator, being exposed even more to the height, having broader visibility.
- In the last stage, we will climb you virtually on the roof of this 50-floor building where you will be able to stand on the edge of it, getting used to the image of staring blankly at a considerable distance from the ground. So, you will be desensitized to the phobic stimulus.
As you are visually exposed to the causative stimulus, respectively, the tall buildings, initially your anxiety state, will increase, but you will be taught how to manage yourself both cognitively through specific anxiety management techniques and physically through relaxation techniques
A minimum number of 6-8 sessions (depending on the severity of the phobia) is required to treat this phobia, as follows:
- in the first session, will be assessed acrophobia
- In the second session, you will learn anxiety management techniques
- In the next 4-6 sessions, depending on the severity of the phobia, you will be exposed in the virtual environment to the stimulus (respectively to the tall buildings-high floors). So, you will be desensitized to the phobic stimulus.
This whole process happens in the presence of the doctor, who will coordinate your step by step throughout the entire therapeutic process.
Research shows that this can be just as effective as the older technique of gradually exposing the person to tall buildings and top floors.
There are other ways to treat this condition. More details here
Schedule your session with ID Therapy Specialist
Dr. Nadia Gorduza is the only psychotherapist and trainer in Romania specialized in Therapy through Virtual Reality for Phobias and Addictions.
Dr. Nadia Gorduza represents Virtually Better Inc. USA in Romania.
Schedule now a psychotherapy session
Address: Naum Ramniceanu Street, no. 23, ap. 1,
Sector 1, Bucharest, Romania